Crockpots are the ultimate set-it-and-forget-it kitchen appliance for the busy home cook, and these 12WBT slow cooker recipes do not disappoint in flavour or ease. We’ve rounded up 4 of our favourites, from soups through to curries and even a dessert! Yep, the slow cooker is a saviour on those busy weeknights – efficient, easy, and delicious—what’s not to love? Happy slow cooking folks!
Reviewed By: Lisa Donaldson, APD, M.Nutr&Diet, B.Edu
Slow Cooked Beef, Lentil & Silverbeet Soup
- 2 Serves
- 15 min prep time
- 60 min cooking
- 295 Cal / serve
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 1 Onion (145g), chopped
- 1 Carrot (61g), chopped
- 1 Celery Stalk (55g), chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic (3g), crushed
- 150g Lean Beef Chuck Steak, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste (20g)
- 2 Cups Beef Stock (500g)
- 1/4 Cup Dry Green Lentils (55g), rinsed
- 75g Silverbeet, shredded
- Spray a large saucepan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add beef and cook for 2 minutes or until browned. Add to slow cooker. Pour in stock and add the tomato paste, lentils and ½ cup (125ml) water.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, then add the silverbeet and cook for 1 hour, or until wilted through.
- Serve and season well with freshly ground black pepper.
Chicken & Broccolini Laksa
- Serves: 8
- Cals per serve: 305
- Prep time: 20mins
- Cooking time: 6-8 hours
- 4 tablespoon laksa paste
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans light coconut milk
- 800g raw, lean chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 2 white onions, diced
- 4 bunches broccolini, separating the stems and the florets
- 480g bean shoots
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 4 zucchinis, spiralised into noodles and blanched
- 2 medium limes, cut into wedges to serve
Switch slow cooker onto low heat. Add the laksa paste, chicken stock and coconut milk to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add in the chicken thigh pieces, diced onion, and broccolini stems.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Add the broccolini florets, bean shoots, mint and coriander and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered on high.
Divide the laksa mixture between the bowls and serve with the zucchini noodles and the lime cheeks.
Chicken Tikka Curry with Cauliflower Mash
- 10 Serves
- 15 min prep time (marinating required)
- 25 min cooking
- 406 cal / serve
200g Tikka Masala Curry Paste
200g Low Fat Natural Yoghurt
1.5kg Lean Chicken Thigh Fillets, fat trimmed
2 1/2 cups Liquid Chicken Stock (125g)
2 cups Reduced Fat Coconut Cream (125g)
200g Baby Spinach
10 tablespoons Coriander Leaves (6g)
- Combine curry paste and yoghurt in a large bowl. Add chicken and combine until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, excess marinade, stock and coconut cream to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook cauliflower in a steamer set over a saucepan of simmering water until tender. Using a handheld blender, blend cauliflower to a coarse puree. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. This can be refrigerated and reheated when it’s time to serve.
- After 6-8 hours, add spinach and half the coriander leaves to slow cooker and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Divide cauliflower mash and chicken curry between plates. Top with remaining coriander to serve.
Slow Cooker Creamy Brown Rice with Tahini & Berries
- 10 Serves
- 10 min prep time
- 240 min cooking
- 305 Cal / serve
- 8 Cups Skim Milk (2000g), or milk of choice
- 2 Cups Brown Rice (402g)
- 2 Cups Water, Tap (500g)
- 1 Tablespoons Vanilla Essence (20g)
- 2 Tablespoons Desiccated Coconut (40g)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey (42g)
- 1 Teaspoons Ground Nutmeg (1g), or to taste
- 1 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon (1g), or to taste
- 10 Teaspoons Tahini (50g), 1 teaspoon drizzle per serve
- 5 Teaspoons Honey (25g), 0.5 teaspoon drizzle per serve
- 200g Frozen Mixed Berries, or fresh to serve
- Place rice, milk, spices, vanilla, water, coconut and honey into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 4 hours.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of honey, tahini and berries.
These slow cooker recipes are just a taste of what we’ve got to offer! Head to our nutrition page to discover even more 12WBT recipes, nutrition advice and expert tips!