Our trainers have modified some common strength training exercises, so instead of needing fancy gym equipment, you can use things you already have at home. Think a dining chair, hand towel and rice – yep, even rice!
Give our exercises a try the next time you want to break a sweat from the comfort of your living room. You’ll never look at the stuff around your home in the same way again.
1. Backpack lunges
- Step 1: Find a comfortably-fitting backpack and weigh it down with some heavy household items
- Step 2: Alternate left and right lunges with the backpack on your back!
2. Chair tricep dips
- Step 1: Choose a stable, sturdy chair (a bench will also do)
- Step 2: Start with bended legs and arms extended behind you, gripping the chair
- Step 3: Bend elbows and lower hips in a tricep dip movement
Also read: 5 Low-Impact Exercises for Sore Joints
3. Towel pulls
- Step 1: Grab a towel and find a strong anchor point, such as a tree branch
- Step 2: Wrap the towel across the anchor point as if creating a grip
- Step 3: Keeping your core tight, lean backwards using the towel as a grip and then pull forward
4. Bottle bicep curl
- Step 1: Make weights using two bottles filled with rice
- Step 2: Stand tall in a neutral stance (feet slightly apart) and grab a bottle in each hand
- Step 3: Raise and lower arms, making sure elbows are always pointing down
Also read: 5 No-Equipment Moves for Toned Arms
Traveled for 6 months in a caravan…no room for equipment. Did the program and in 12 weeks I lost 8 kilos (73 kilos to 65 kilos), dropped 4 dress sizes, completed my first 5k fun run in under an hour and my doctor cut my high blood pressure by half…no excuses, the program works!