Many of us (no doubt!) will enjoy a smidge too much alcohol this NYE, and a nasty hangover (hello pounding head and unsettled yummy) is never fun.
Help is at hand! Our nutrition experts have shared their top tips for enjoying a night out whilst feeling ok the next day:
Before the party
- Grab a bite to eat before you head out: make sure it’s a combination of carbs, protein and good fats.
- Understand just how much alcohol is in a ‘standard’ drink, as it varies. Check out our guide to how many standard drinks are in your fave beverages: How Many Standard Drinks are in Alcohol
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with a glass of water, and have at least two big glasses of water before you go to sleep.
After the party
- Have another two glasses upon waking up the next morning
- Avoid greasy food! It’s not the answer. Stick to something light, fresh and full of nutrients. A good example is smashed avocado on toast with some vegemite, for a protein and vitamin B hit
- Some foods are known to replace electrolytes, which you’ll be sorely missing with a hangover. Bread, cottage cheese (yes!) and bananas all replace electrolytes
- If you can, go for a gentle swim. It’s low-impact but gets the blood pumping and clears away the cobwebs
Enjoy yourself this NYE! Just remember to take it easy and pace yourself, so the next day isn’t a complete write off.